Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Required reading.

I subscribe to a daily journal called Inside Higher Ed. This journal is dedicated to any news about higher education (college) in the U.S. and Canada. The other day I came across this article that I've so graciously linked for you (I love me when I do that, don't you!?). If you don't want to read it, that's fine I'll tell you what it is about. The article talks about how some school require incoming freshman to all read a specific book that the school chooses. They say it fosters community and gets the academic juices flowing. What I want to know from you, is what books have you read during your schooling (if it's been awhile since school, don't worry, you can still participate!) that you would require your incoming freshman class to read? I look forward to seeing what you put down!


http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/06/04/books

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It can be anything?

"House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski.

It's a story in a story. Johnny Truant finds a chest in an apparent he was grave-robbing from and inside is a critique on a movie called "The Navidson Record" that is dealing with a family who moved into a new house, go on vacation, come back and find that there is a new, dark hallway in their house; and now the inner measurements exceed the outside measurements. A physical impossibility.

As the family deals with and tries to find the heart of this mystery, Johnny is dealing with his own dark hallway: his life. As he reads, more similarities in the story are reflected in his own life.

This book is quite the discussion topic. There are mysteries abound, cryptic codes throughout the text, letters, poems, symbolism, recommended reading that is almost required to get some answers and maybe some more questions.

It's my favorite book. It'll keep people engaged in reading as well as foster discussion on the many mysteries held within.

Jamie Boehmer said...

Just wikied (is that an actual verb yet?) the book. It sounds really interesting! I will have to check it out, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

Unknown said...

Sure, why not? Interested, eh? I can always lend it to you if you'd like. As long as you don't mind some notes in the margins. They're just translations of French, German, etc. lines in the book so I don't have to go look them up while re-reading :D

Trust me, it's awesome.