Monday, July 26, 2010

Why we blog

A catchy little title wouldn't you agree? Lately I've been thinking about the different reasons for running a blog. Some people keep blogs to let family members know what is going on in there lives. I follow 2 such blogs. It's a nice way to keep in touch and to see what is going on in their lives. Others blog about a specific topic, I follow a couple blogs that deal with early american history and early american religious history. Other blogs are a source of political and social commentary. I follow two blogs that can fall under this category. But why do I blog? I was having a conversation with a friend (check out her blog) and we were talking about why we blog. After giving my usual response: developing my writing skills (how am I doing on this by the way?) I sat back and tried to think of a deeper reason for why I blog. And by George I think I've done it! A lot of my posts deal with education, history, or theological subjects. Am I disillusioned enough to think that my posts are going to somehow right all the wrongs, topple government mistakes, or inspire America to educate themselves? No. The reason I blog, and why countless others blog, is that we hope to inspire one or two people to read something they wouldn't normally have read, have a conversation with somebody they wouldn't have had, about a subject they wouldn't have talked about. I want to create a place where people can debate in a safe enviornment without being discredited or censored based on their ideas. That is why I blog, and that is why I hope you come here. So please feel free to rip, dissect, add on, or agree with what I say by adding a comment or two on my posts!

1 comment:

Kate said...

you know, I've asked myself this very question. For me part of it is to develop my personal brand (given my field its a very important thing to do!). But also, I just write about the things that interest me, or the stuff going on in my life so that I can get things out of my head and put it on paper.

The development of writing skills is a good argument. Writing is becoming a lost art with all the short hand and terrible grammer. Your blog is entertaining, so I think that means you are doing a good job :)
-Katie