Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Educational woes

I'm going to take a break from writing out Psalm 119 on the blog today. I want to share a couple links to some articles that I have been reading lately.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/07/06/youtube

This first article is about how a professor was put on a paid leave because of some comments he made during a class lecture on Machiavelli. In The Prince Machiavelli talks about how a leader can successfully seize power. This teacher was presenting his lecture and used a well established interpretation of Machiavelli likening the accumulation of power to the subduing and raping of a woman. While the subject of raping a woman is graphic and disgusting, the imagery serves its purpose in the context of Machiavelli. Apparently a student was offended by the Professors illustration and decided to record and post a segment of the class on youtube. Read the full article and let me know what you think!

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/04/what_happened_to_studying/?page=1

The second article is a fantastically written piece which explores the trend of time students spend studying in institutions of higher learning. It's interesting to note that this trend is spread evenly across the board. I must admit that I do not spend nearly enough time studying. I wonder what my grades would look like if I actually spent 2 hours studying for every hour I spent in class. Anyways read the articles and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

thekoreanpanda said...

1. Context.
2. Busy Schedules combined with procrastination of free time.